Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Return of the Speed...

Speed Work that is. Todays schedule marks the first Speed workout since a few weeks before the marathon. On tap, 3x 1 Mile repeats at 10K pace. Each repeat followed by 3 minutes jog/recovery, the entire workout sandwiched between a 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down.

I went out for the workout over the lunch hour. May in Nebraska greeted me with a sunny 81 degrees and a 25mph South wind, gusting to 34mph. I jogged over the pedestrian bridge for the warm up and headed North for the first mile. Aided by the wind my first leg was a 6:20. The second repeat was half against the wind and half with it; split 6:40. The last repeat was directly into the wind. Add to that the fact that I was completely out of breath; split 7:20.

That workout hurt.

Wednesday: 5.51 miles total. 8:32 minutes/mile overall pace. With an average heart rate of 171bpm (max of 196!).

No comments: