Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A workout that beat me

So today was a very hard workout on paper; 3 x mile repeats @5k pace, 3-5 min rest b/w . 1wu, 1cd. It turned out to be even harder in execution. I ran short on time today with lots going on at work. Add to that my legs were still a little sore from the track workout on Monday and I decided to do the repeats on the treadmill.

So 5k pace. I've never ran a 5k race before. I know what I think I could do. I know what my goals are for a 10k later this summer and fall, but don't have a handle on my 5k pace. Coach said to go for 6:00/mile. So I did.

I did a 1 mile warm up at about 9:00/mile pace. The first repeat, 6:00 on the nose. I'm not going to say that it felt good, but it wasn't terrible. Took a quarter mile walk/jog rest and then hit it for repeat 2. Again, 6:00 dead on. My legs were starting to burn and my heart rate was through the roof. Still though, I was proud I'd put down 2 solid miles. I did however start to doubt myself. I didn't think I could do the third mile. Self fullfiling proficy as it turns out. I made it through half of the third repeat before I started to feel off balance and wussed out. Jogged a quarter mile and then pushed the last quarter at near pace.

I'm pissed at myself for not fighting through it. Next time I will. I do feel though like 6:00/mile pace may be a little past my ability at this point.

Wednesday: 4.75 total miles with overall pace of 8:25 /mile

No comments: