Sunday, September 20, 2009

2009 Omaha Corporate Cup


Race: Omaha Corporate Cup (Official Results)
When: September 20, 2009
Where: Omaha, NE

Introduction:
One year ago today, this race last year, was my racing debut. Turns out it was the start of an obsession. Corporate Cup started it all for me, so I have somewhat of a connection to this race. This year did not disappoint for me once again. I love this run!


Over the last 2 months I've dealt with two major "interruptions" in my training; one definitely wanted and one definitely not. In July I was sidelined for 4 weeks with a groin injury. That was my first running injury and being sidelined sucked! I came back from the time off and started regaining my form quickly. The good "interruption" came on September 1st in the form of my beautiful baby girl Ally. Sleep deprivation has posed a challenge to my training and race confidence since.

Yesterday morning I was down. Confidence was low as I didn't think I had the endurance to really compete on Sunday. My runs lately have been unpredictable, erratic and not smooth in any sense of the word. Just not in a great place. Then I received and email from a friend, who is coincidentally my coach. The quote of the email: "Don't, for one minute, think that because you had a rough go of it during the past two weeks that you aren't prepared." ...... "Get after it tomorrow, Jeff."

That's what I needed. I showed that email to Shana. She added "just go out there and kick all of there asses tomorrow." (or something along those lines....).

Confidence restored I entered today ready to do battle. Not completely sure what to expect time wise, but ready to try.

The Race:
The day started off with a pre-race team photo inside. 100+ Gallup runners/walkers, most wearing the new red team running shirt, gathered together.... What an awesome sight! I headed outside alone for an easy warm-up jog then found my way into the seeded runners area. Again I sought out a space by myself and awaited the start. At this point I still wasn't exuding confidence, but willing to throw myself against the wall and see what I could do.

Starting gun. I settled in with the folks around me, it was a little crowded, but not terrible. About 1/4 mile in, I spotted Ryan ahead. For a little under 2 miles I just kept him in my sights and set my pace off of that. At shortly after the 2 mile marker I caught up to Ryan and from that point on we carried each other to a pair of PR's and both under our goal of sub-40 minutes.


My run:
New 10K PR: 39:34

Start to mile marker 1:
Split: 6:16
Mile markers 1 to 2:
Split: 6:26
Mile markers 2 to 3:
Split: 6:27   (front 3.1:  19:51)
Mile markers 3 to 4:
Split: 6:23
Mile markers 4 to 5:
Split: 6:19
Mile markers 5 to 6:
Split: 6:15
Mile markers 6 to Finish:
Split: 1:27  (back 3.1:  19:43)

No comments: