Sunday, August 16, 2009

Omaha Corporate Cycling Challenge 2009

So today I participated in my first organized cycling event today. All-in-all a great experience. The event is more of a group ride than a race though. No official timing and not a certified course (in fact the "25 mile" course was actually just short of 23 miles). It did give me the chance to ride among a large group of riders and even draft a little.

The course was pretty good. There were a couple of areas around Carter Lake that were incredibly rough. A large number of people got flats on a few rough railroad crossings. Aside from that, the Omaha Police provided traffic control for the whole route and there were a ton of volunteers along the route. I did have major cycle envy for all of the very nice road bikes I was around. The mountain bike held up though.

If you put aside the very slow and congested start, I carried nearly 19 mph across about 21 miles. I'm happy with that.

Garmin data

Sunday: 22.9 miles. 1hr 17mins. 17.7 overall mph pace.

No comments: