Friday, February 13, 2009

Who decides to close a pedestrain bridge for snow?

So I originally planned on getting up around 5am today and heading out to get the 8 miler in. The alarm on my phone went off and was (predictably) quickly disabled. So I decided to go out once I got to the office. It turned out to be a good run with some unexpected twists.

I started out right around 8:20am. The snow at that point could best be described as light flurries. I headed out planning to run the same 8 mile course I ran on Wednesday; over the pedestrian bridge into Iowa and heading north-east to Narrows Park and back. Through the first 2-3 miles my legs were really not feeling the best. They hurt to the point that if it hadn't of gotten better I was ready to turn around an walk back. Around mile 3 though I started feeling pretty good. Right around that time the snow really started coming down.

I made it to the turn-around point and the snow was coming down heavy enough I couldn't even see my foot prints from just minutes before. Short of the nearly consistent snow flakes in my eyes, the snow really didn't effect me much. In fact the last half of the run was faster than the first. I was feeling pretty good as I finished mile number 7 which is just before the entrance to the pedestrian bridge ramp. As I approached the bridge I was pretty focused on the ground. The first thing that I noticed was the truck tire tracks on the snow. I looked up quickly just as I about ran right into the orange barricade now between me and the bridge entrance. They closed the bridge.

I decided that the risk of hoping the barricade was far less than being stuck in Council Bluffs so I went for it. After the slow crossing of the river I hoped the sister barricade on Omaha side and finished out my white run.

Friday: 8.01 miles. 8:30 minutes/mile pace with an average heart rate of 165bpm.

No comments: