Friday, July 10, 2009

Hard run. Held pace though.

Today was the first bump up in distance for the pace portion of the "4 - *" running workout. The last three have been "4 - 1", today was the "4 - 2". The plan: first mile warm up, second and third holding target 10k pace (6:00/mile), last mile cool down.

Went out at lunch for this one. It was overcast but still 80 degrees with a very humid, thick air. In general I felt pretty good. My shins are still pretty sore and were very noticeable on the first half of the warm up. I ran a very familiar route on the levee trail so I wouldn't need to think much about where I was going. I crossed over the pedestrian bridge and started to pick up speed. I wanted to be moving pretty good by the time I started mile 2. I held pace pretty well the first mile; started out pretty fast and then settled into a nice rhythm. My legs and lungs both felt good as I made the turn to start mile 3 back the way I'd just came. About 1/4 into mile three my breathing started to really get shallow. I concentrated on breathing and keeping my posture upright. Man that last 1/2 of that mile was a struggle. I feel above pace briefly and then really brought it home to sneek under 6.

Mile splits: 8:32, 5:53, 5:58, 9:10

Confidence boosting run for sure.

Followed with strength workout 3 (clap pushups, ab destroyer w/20lbs).

Friday: 4.0 miles. 7:24 minutes/mile overall pace. 170 bpm average heartrate (200 max).

No comments: