Thursday, November 20, 2008

My Christmas list

Since I've been in my adult years, I've always had a difficult time coming up with items to fill a Christmas list. Some years, it's been so bad, that I ended up with a small stack of plastic gift cards and a shoulder shrug from my mom or other family members.

This year however, it appears that there is a new theme to my list. As it turns out, it's a darn expensive pastime (obsession) to have.
Ok, so most of it isn't really needed, in fact some of it is overkill.... I've censored myself back to reality a little because for a gadget intrigued guy, running accessories are a dangerous arena... back me up here Steve.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Couldn't disagree more that running is expensive as it seems. Let's compare it to other hobbies/sports...

Golf: clubs ($1k+), green fees ($40+ per round), golf balls ($30 per dozen)

Hunting: gun ($500+), permits ($100), taxidermist/butcher ($500)

Cycling: bike ($2k+), shoes ($100+)

Racing: car/go-cart ($10k+)

Gaming: xbox/Wii ($300), games ($50)

Finally, aside from cycling, these hobies don't have a direct effect on health standards, thereby offering a priceless return on investment.

wilby said...

Why do I feel like you've made that argument before Ryan?

For some reason, sitting on my couch last winter and watching TV still seems to be "less expensive". :-)

Honestly though, the thing is, I can't begin to calculate how much that lifestyle was really "costing" me.

Seriously though, a $10 pair of socks?