On Saturday I was scheduled to do my second MAF assessment. That included running 4 miles on a treadmill at the gym. The first time I did this 2 weeks ago it was uneventful, Saturdays attempt didn't go that smooth however.
I arrived at the Y around 10AM. For the first time in the last year, I had to wait to get on a machine. Once one opened up, I got started; calibrate my watch/HR monitor, setup the treadmill, we're off. About 6 minutes into the run, I changed the treadmills display to show distance covered: "1.10". So obviously I didn't just run a sub-6 minute mile. The machine was not working as expected. So I stepped off and luckily (or so I thought) there was a machine open down the row.
I switched machines, reset the watch/HR monitor, got the treadmill going, we're off (again). For the first 4 minutes or so everything was working perfectly. That is until the treadmill next to me changed occupants. At that very moment, my heart rate began to fluctuate rapidly. One minute I was around 155, the next 220, followed shortly after by 120. Reasonably certain that I was not having a heart attack, I quickly located the problem. My new workout neighbor too was wearing a heart rate monitor and our sensors were interfering with each others.
Frustrated, I completed 3 miles and decided to try again at another time to complete the assessment.
Saturday: 3+ miles frustrating miles on treadmill.
No comments:
Post a Comment