Friday, April 10, 2009

Run to work round 2

My 3 scheduled (2nd executed) 20 miler was on store for Friday. This being the last of the three twenties and also the summit to my training climb the anticipation for this run was high. My confidence in my ability to finish the distance was also very high as the first round went off without any issue.

The goal for this run was however, much faster than the first. The target pace was race pace plus 45-60 seconds; or 8:35-8:50 minutes per mile. To add to the run a little more I tried a different route, one that I was pretty sure would add an extra mile to the run as well. So, longer and faster.

I woke up at 5am. Ate a quick breakfast as I dressed and got out the door around 5:30. The weather was descent; 35 degrees with a 5-10 mph wind out of the North. With some road construction on Q street, I headed out the back of our neighborhood and wound around back to around 170th and Q. From there, I followed Q down past 72nd and caught the bike trail up to L street. I then followed L clear down to the Veterans Memorial Bridge. L street has quite a bit of construction on it right now, so I spent quite a bit of time going back and forth from one side to the other avoiding closed sidewalks and bridges. Down the hill and under the bridge is where I joined the Omaha Riverfront Trail - South.

The Omaha Trails website states it very well, only I didn't read that until now.
The final segment to the south is not the easiest route to access.
Once I got close to downtown it's a very hilly climb through very old side streets and industrial areas to get off the trail and into downtown. Eventually I made it and carried on through Conagra's campus and along the riverfront to work.

In the end, a great run. I obtained my goals, had a great time and again have boosted my confidence to another level.


Friday: 21.2 miles. 8:42 minutes/mile pace with an average heart rate of 160 bpm.

No comments: